On the eve of my 24th birthday, I’d like to share some things I learned at the wonderful age of 23.
- Its never too late to walk away. For me, that meant walking away from a job I loved in order to try something new (and scary) and equally as exciting, if not more exciting. I wanted to learn about marketing and social media, and the only way to do that was to find hands-on experience. The job I had wasn’t meeting my needs, and that’s okay. I needed the push to find something I really wanted to invest my time in.
- You will always learn more about yourself, every day. For me, this meant asking deep questions about who I am. I learned so much this year about what I want out of life and how to just be myself, in any situation that comes my way.
- You really can trust your mom with anything. I am more and more like my mother every day, and thank God, because honestly sometimes I don’t know how to deal with myself. Well, she’s been dealing with me for 24 years, so she is the ultimate expert in all things Crystal.
- The real world is tough and has no mercy. There is no slack out there for anyone- if you don’t have thick skin and know how to stand up for yourself, you will get stepped on. Its better to be strong and put other people in their place then to let them make you feel small and think they can get away with it.
- Stop biting off more than you can chew. I’m a text-book-case overachiever and hold myself to the highest degree of unrealistic standards. This year I learned that, sometimes, I really can’t do everything. And really, I should stop trying. I always have such compassion for others, but I have to remember to have compassion for myself too. Its okay if I’m not perfect.
- Living with your boyfriend is amazing. Don’t be afraid, take the plunge. Living with your best friend is the best feeling in the world (aside from holding a golden retriever puppy, which I’m childishly wishing for as my birthday present).
T-minus 10 hours and counting. Cheers, 23. Thanks for everything.